Benjamin Mendy is selling his £5million house to avoid bankruptcyAugust 9, 2023
Former Man City star Benjamin Mendy selling his £5million house and chasing club backpay in bid to avoid bankruptcy after being cleared of rape
- Ex-Man City ace Benjamin Mendy, 29, is selling his £5million Cheshire mansion
Former Man City star Benjamin Mendy is selling his £5million Cheshire mansion and chasing up to £10million of club backpay to avoid bankruptcy after being cleared of rape.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is seeking a bankruptcy order against the footballer over a nearly £800,000 tax debt, a specialist judge at the High Court was told.
The hearing in London today came less than a month after the 29-year-old World Cup winner was cleared of rape and attempted rape at Chester Crown Court.
Jacquille Jarrett, representing HMRC, said proceedings at the Insolvency and Companies Court had previously been postponed pending the outcome of the criminal trial and for a settlement of Mr Mendy’s debt from backdated salary or the sale of his property.
She said: ‘There has been no contact from the debtor. The agreement advises that an update would be given to HMRC but no contact was made.
Former Man City star Benjamin Mendy is selling his £5million house and chasing up to £10million of club backpay to avoid bankruptcy after being cleared of rape (pictured after being found not guilty)
Benjamin Mendy won three Premier League titles during his time at Manchester City
‘We look to secure a bankruptcy order today.’
Mr Mendy’s accountant, who refused to give reporters his full name, told the hearing the footballer ‘was found not guilty in respect of those very serious criminal charges against him’.
He said Manchester City had not paid Mr Mendy, who was not present at Wednesday’s hearing, since September 2021.
The accountant said the footballer’s agent was ‘in negotiations with Manchester City to get the back pay [of £9-10million] on the basis that he has been found not guilty’.
He also said Mr Mendy’s house near Macclesfield, Cheshire, is being marketed by estate agent Savills for £5million.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is seeking a bankruptcy order against the footballer over a nearly £800,000 tax debt, a specialist judge at the High Court was told
French footballer Benjamin Mendy appeared emotional as he left Chester Crown Court having been cleared of one count of rape and another of attempted rape
The accountant added: ‘He has moved back to France where he comes from.
‘I would like to ask for a short extension because I am told very firmly by his agent that the pay issue will be resolved from Manchester City.
‘He was very short of money indeed, the cost of the legal case were over one million pounds.’
Mr Mendy left Manchester City in June at the expiration of his contract, having not played for the Premier League and Champions League winners since 2021.
While at the club he won three Premier League titles, two EFL Cups, one FA Community Shield and came runner-up in the Champions League in 2021.
He has since signed a two-year deal with French club FC Lorient.
Judge Clive Jones told Wednesday’s hearing that Mr Mendy’s HMRC debt is £788,409.
Mendy, pictured here playing for Manchester City in 2020, was alleged to have attacked the women at his £5million mansion
While at Man City, Mendy won three Premier League titles, two EFL Cups, one FA Community Shield and came runner-up in the Champions League in 2021
Criticising Mr Mendy, the judge said: ‘I’m very unimpressed at the lack of information that’s been provided both to HMRC and to the court prior to this hearing.
‘That, I really think, is the wrong step for him to take,’ he said, adding that the footballer must attend any further hearing or be legally represented.
The judge adjourned the bankruptcy proceedings to 11am on October 4 to allow Mr Mendy to sell his house.
He said he has been told there is ‘more than sufficient equity in a house’, adding that ‘time should be given to enable payment to be made’.
‘I also bear in mind that there are also negotiations in place about the backdated pay,’ the judge said, adding that the footballer could be being paid ‘a large sum in wages’ in France.
On July 14 this year, jurors found the French full-back not guilty of a charge of rape and one of attempted rape, following a three-week trial at Chester Crown Court.
Mr Mendy had been on trial for a second time, the jury failing to reach verdicts on the allegations made by two women.
In his first trial, lasting six months and ending in January, he was cleared of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault, relating to four other young women or teenagers.
Source: Read Full Article