You could face £100 fine for simple mistake at beauty spots – don’t get caught out this EasterApril 14, 2022
BRITS heading to some of the country's beauty spots for the long Easter weekend have been warned of a mistake that could cost them dearly.
Anyone planning on a visit to the New Forest in Hampshire or some of Devon's stunning beaches has been urged to pack a picnic for lunchtime.
That's because barbecues are banned – and those who light up will face trouble.
Officials in the New Forest say disposable barbecues are responsible for a blaze in nearby Wareham Forest that burned for two weeks.
Lizards and slow worms were incinerated and 500 acres of the woodland were damaged.
"One careless action could impact the environment for decades to come," they said.
Read more on UK news
Brits to bake in 22C TOMORROW as Saharan plume sends mercury soaring
Drivers told to travel TODAY to avoid nightmare Easter traffic with 27.6M cars
"The New Forest is a no barbecue and no fire zone.
"Barbecues, including disposable ones, campfires, or fires of any kind, are not permitted in car parks or other areas."
Visitors who spot guests cooking their dinner over open flames are urged to call a 24/7 hotline to report the sighting.
Meanwhile, a ban making it illegal to light a barbecue, set off fireworks, start campfires or light Chinese lanterns has been in place on moorland in Bradford since 2019.
Most read in The Sun
Thandiwe Newton axed from film after row with Channing Tatum over Oscars slap
It’s been 16yrs since Big Brother and we're stronger than ever, say Grace & Mikey
Curse of Big Fat Gypsy Wedding – from messy divorce to tragic suicide pact
I'm an ex-KFC worker and here are 4 things you need to know before ordering
The order is set to be extended for three years.
In Devon, barbecues are banned at Dawlish Warren, Crownhill Bay, Wonwell, Mothecome, Lannacombe and on the beaches of East Portlemouth.
Anyone caught with a barbecue or glass bottle between Herne Bay and Whitstable in Kent will also be slapped with a fine.
And extensive plans for a barbecue ban in Brighton and Hove will come into force on July 1.
The city's Green council voted to ban disposable barbecues from its beaches, parks and public spaces.
Critics have branded the scheme “barmy” and blasted "killjoy" councillors.
One daytripper said: “It’s completely barmy to ban them completely.
Another said: “Yet more barmy ideas from a Green-led council hell-bent taking all the fun out of Brighton. It’s a killjoy council.
“Brighton has always been about fun and a place that is tolerant and welcoming to everyone. Banning barbecues is just silly.”
But not everyone agreed – with one resident arguing: "It's the best news I've heard in years.
Yet more barmy ideas from a council hell-bent on taking all the fun out of Brighton
"Smoke and stench from stinking barbecues spoil other peoples peaceful enjoyment.”
The Government is mulling plans to ban disposable barbecues altogether.
Last month, Waitrose and Aldi both announced they would no longer stock the kit at all after Home Office data revealed around four per cent of accidental fires are linked to barbecues.
The weekend is set to be particularly beautiful, meaning many Brits will be heading outdoors to cook.
Read More on The Sun
Ukraine snatches Putin’s pal ‘Prince of Darkness’ & offers trade for POWs
Rylan in shock feud with I’m A Celeb star as she tells him to ‘get real!’
But anyone heading away with friends and family will likely face a gruelling journey, whether that's by road, rail or plane.
Those determined to take the car should leave tonight rather than tomorrow, experts say.
Source: Read Full Article