Video shows Gov Cuomo urging female reporter to eat a whole sausageMarch 1, 2021
Gov Cuomo is branded ‘creepy’ after he is seen in resurfaced clip urging a female reporter to ‘eat the whole sausage’ when she was presented with a sandwich at state fair
- A 2016 video has resurfaced showing New York Governor Andrew Cuomo telling News 12 Westchester’s Beth Cefalu to eat a whole sausage sandwich
- The exchange happened while Cefalu was covering the 2016 New York State Fair
- One Twitter user called the footage ‘creepy’ and ‘cringey,’ while another called it ‘unwatchable’
- The clip has been shared on social media as Cuomo, 63, faces sexual misconduct allegations from two former aides
- Cuomo has denied the allegations against him and issued an apology on Sunday
Andrew Cuomo has been branded ‘creepy’ by social media users after a video resurfaced of him telling a female journalist that he wanted to see her eating a whole sausage in front of him.
The video, taken at the 2016 New York State Fair, has been shared on social media and referenced in news articles as the New York Governor faces allegations of sexual misconduct.
In the footage, Cuomo is heard challenging News 12 Westchester’s Beth Cefalu to eat an entire Gianelli sausage sandwich before a Cuomo aide handed one to the reporter.
‘I want to see you eat the whole sausage,’ Cuomo said to Cefalu, who is filming the interaction.
‘I don’t know if I should eat the whole sausage in front of you, but I’m definitely going to eat it,’ Cefalu responded.
Andrew Cuomo (pictured in 2016 with his daughter Michaela) has been branded ‘creepy’ by social media users after a video resurfaced of him telling a female journalist that he wanted to see her eating a whole sausage in front of him
In the footage, Cuomo is heard challenging News 12 Westchester’s Beth Cefalu to eat an entire Gianelli sausage sandwich before a Cuomo aide (center) handed one to the reporter (right)
‘I want to see you eat the whole sausage,’ Cuomo (second from left) said to Cefalu (third from right)
Cuomo then invited Cefalu to sit next to him at his table and introduced her to his daughter Michaela, seated on his other side.
Cefalu held up her plate to take a selfie with Cuomo, who said: ‘There’s too much sausage in that picture,’ prompting laughter from the others at the table.
The two then joke about how difficult it is to eat on camera, with Cuomo saying there is a course governors take in how to do it.
As the video was reshared on Twitter on Sunday, one user branded it ‘creepy’ and ‘cringey’.
Another pointed out: ‘His daughter looks so uncomfortable! Ew!!!’
‘This is unwatchable…’ a third added.
Others suggested the criticism had been overblown, with one Twitter user writing: ‘My God how dare they do this perverse activity of eating sausage in public. Just kidding. Eat on gov, eat on.’
The Governor has not commented on the video, which critics say shows Cuomo has a history of making inappropriate comments, Fox News reported. Cefalu has also not commented.
On Sunday, Cuomo apologised and admitted to being ‘insensitive’ in response to sexual harassment claims against him as he allowed New York Attorney General Letitia James to appoint her own investigators.
Cuomo, who is accused of harassing two former aides, said that he ‘never intended to offend anyone or cause any harm’.
He explained that he would often be ‘playful and make jokes that I think are funny… (and) tease people in what I think is a good-natured way. I do it in public and in private. You have seen me do it at briefings hundreds of times.’
The embattled governor, 63, said that his ‘joking’ was an attempt to add ‘levity and banter’ to ‘serious business.’
But he has since acknowledged he may have gone too far.
‘I now understand that my interactions may have been insensitive or too personal and that some of my comments, given my position, made others feel in ways I never intended,’ he said.
‘I acknowledge some of the things I have said have been misinterpreted as an unwanted flirtation. To the extent anyone felt that way, I am truly sorry about that.’
Charlotte Bennett, 25, (left) came out on Saturday and said Cuomo told her he was open to dating women in their 20s and asked her questions about her personal life in June. It comes after Lindsey Boylan, 36, (right) claimed he kissed her on the lips without her permission when she worked for him in 2017
On Sunday, Cuomo apologised and admitted to being ‘insensitive’ in response to sexual harassment claims against him as he allowed New York Attorney General Letitia James to appoint her own investigators [File photo]
Cuomo added: ‘To be clear I never inappropriately touched anybody and I never propositioned anybody and I never intended to make anyone feel uncomfortable, but these are allegations that New Yorkers deserve answers to.’
The New York governor’s new statement came after New York Attorney General Letitia James rejected Cuomo’s attempt to appoint his own investigator into the allegations and said she expects to receive a ‘referral with subpoena power’ to investigate.
Earlier that week, Cuomo, 63, was accused of sexual harassment by a former aide for the second time in three months.
Charlotte Bennett, 25, told the New York Times the governor asked her questions about her sex life, whether she had monogamous relationships and if she ever had sex with older men – all during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Bennett said she took the comments to be Cuomo attempting to gauge her interest in an affair.
Days earlier, another former aide, Lindsey Boylan, 36, a former deputy secretary for economic development and special adviser to the governor, elaborated on accusations she first made in December, saying Cuomo had subjected her to an unwanted kiss and made inappropriate comments about her appearance.
Prior to his comments on Sunday, Cuomo had issued a brief statement a day earlier saying he had intended to be a mentor for Bennett. He has denied Boylan’s allegations.
Source: Read Full Article