Sophie Wessex and Prince Edward reveal they are 'flattered' to join slimmed down monarchy after 'plodding along'June 5, 2021
PRINCE Edward and Sophie Wessex have said how delighted they are to be part of Prince Charles’ new slimmed down monarchy.
The Earl and Countess of Wessex are “flattered” to be reintroduced to the front lines of the Royal family after re-entering the limelight after Prince Philip’s funeral.
🔵 Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest updates
It has been claimed that the Prince of Wales is poised to "cut the monarchy down" in the future to save cash.
Speaking to The Telegraph, Prince Edward said: "Well, we’re flattered is probably the best way of putting it.”
His wife Sophie, 56, added: "Inevitably the spotlight and the focus falls on younger members as time goes on.
“We’ve plodded along doing what we’re doing, hopefully doing it well. And then all of a sudden there’s a bit of a hiatus and things have changed a bit.
“Naturally, the media are looking for people to fill the so-called void. But you know, we have been doing this for what feels like a pretty long time!
“If people want to pay more attention to what we’re doing then great, because actually, that’s got to be good for our organisations and the work that we are trying to carry out.”
Acknowledging that his mother’s job is “not one you can walk away from”, the Earl adds, “it just carries on relentlessly. So yes the support is important, that we’re there.”
It comes following the departure of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to the USA and Prince Andrew stepping back from public life.
A slimmed-down version could see just Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Princes George and Louis and Princess Charlotte as senior royals, alongside the Wessex’s.
Royal biographer Angela Levin said the Prince of Wales is set to “cut the monarchy down” to save money.
Prince Charles and Prince William were set to discuss the future of the Monarchy – including which family members should be working Royals – following Prince Philip's death on April 9.
Others may be urged to look for other ways to help support themselves and could end up losing their highly-valued titles and patronages.
Ms Levin told talkRADIO: "Prince Charles has wanted for a very long time to cut the monarchy down to save costs and to make people be worth the money that they got from the taxpayer.
"I imagine that might be when Harry and Meghan are ditched from being members of the Royal family.
"I think the outer edge, which the Queen has wanted to keep together for a very long time for sentimental reasons, which at her age she didn't really particularly want change which I think is understandable.
"But he wants to change and I think he will do that."
The claims come after another expert said Harry will struggle to "heal the wounds" with his family as Charles and William fear any conversations they have with him will "immediately leak".
Prince Harry was repeatedly told he and Meghan Markle were part of plans for a slimmed down monarchy – but still snubbed the Queen by choosing to leave the Royal Family.
It was previously reported the couple had felt "driven out" by the Royal Family – including feeling excluded from the recent "line of succession" photo which saw the Queen beaming alongside her heirs Prince George, Prince William and Prince Charles.
After Philip's funeral in April, Harry was seen talking with William and the Duchess of Cambridge as the group left the service.
A royal source said at the time of the funeral: “It looked like a conciliatory move by William to wait for Harry and allow him to catch up and chat to him and Kate. That could be a significant moment.
“Harry appeared grateful for the opportunity, and Kate seemed to make a point of letting the brothers walk alone together, having briefly chatted to Harry as well.”
Charles was also said to be "desperate for a reconciliation" – although William was reportedly deeply upset, even after meeting his brother face-to-face for the first time in a year.
Source: Read Full Article