Mum 'strangled and assaulted' before her body and 'burnt' corpse of daughter, 14, found as cops launch murder probe

Mum 'strangled and assaulted' before her body and 'burnt' corpse of daughter, 14, found as cops launch murder probe

October 3, 2020

A MUM was strangled and assaulted before her body and the corpse of her badly burnt 14-year-old daughter were discovered, police revealed today.

Dr Saman Mir Sacharvi, 49, and Vian Magrio, 14, were tragically found dead at a Lancashire home on Thursday – sparking a double murder probe.


Burnley Police today said a post-mortem confirmed the mother had been strangled and assaulted before her body was found at their Burnley home.

The body of her teen daughter Vian Mangrio was also found badly burned, but the cause of her death has not yet been confirmed.

Emergency services had rushed to the Colne Road home in Reedley on Thursday morning after reports of concern for safety – finding evidence of "smoke and fire damage" at the property.

A blue tent had now been erected in the front garden as forensics officers comb the house.

And shocked neighbours today spoke of their shock and sadness at the tragedy.

One neighbour said she believed the alarm had been raised when Dr Saman’s mother in Pakistan had not heard from her.

The neighbour, who didn’t wish to be named, said: “I think the doctor used to telephone her mother every day.

“So when she didn’t hear from her a man, who was dressed in white robes, came round to the house to see why.

“He became worried and I think that’s how the alarm was raised.”

The neighbour described the doctor and her daughter as “lovely” people.


She said: “The doctor was so kind. I had leukaemia and when I came home from hospital she was always checking up on me and telling me to take it easy.

“Her daughter was beautiful and very bright

“I’d see her a few times in the garden and she was very quietly spoken. I can’t believe what’s happened, it’s so tragic."

Another neighbour, retired GP Arnold Jenkin, 71, said police had come to his home and asked for footage from his security camera.

He said: “They told me they wanted to see what cars had passed along the road.

"It so sad what’s happened, especially as it’s a 14-year-old.”

Detectives are now searching the property as they continue the murder investigation – saying they were keeping an "open mind".

Supt Jon Holmes, Lancashire Constabulary’s Head of Major Crime, said the crime was "truly harrowing".

He added: "We are now treating the investigation as a double murder inquiry and although we are still in the relatively early stages we have a dedicated team of detectives and staff working on it.

"They are following a number of lines of enquiry to piece together exactly what has happened.

“I would now appeal to anyone with any information about these two deaths to get in touch with us.”

Anyone with information can contact police on 101 quoting incident reference LC-20201003-0429.

Source: Read Full Article