Girl, 8, is hospitalised after being bitten by ADDER on Easter picnic

Girl, 8, is hospitalised after being bitten by ADDER on Easter picnic

April 18, 2022

Girl, 8, is hospitalised after being bitten by ADDER on Easter family picnic at West Midlands beauty spot

  • Eight-year-old girl was bitten by a venomous adder after putting hand near it 
  • She was hospitalised after her hand swelled and given two IV’s of anti-venom 
  • Around 100 people bitten by adders every year, but no one has died since 1975 

An eight-year-old girl has been hospitalised after being bitten by an adder during an Easter family picnic at a West Midlands beauty spot. 

The child, who has not been named, had her hand swell and was given two IV’s of anti-venom after the snake attack near her home in Birmingham. 

She was with her parents enjoying Easter Saturday when she spotted the adder, and put her hand out towards the UK’s only venomous snake. 

The adder struck and the girl were taken straight to hospital by her family after her hand swelled and she was given two IV’s of anti-venom. 

Around 100 people are bitten by adders every year, which become more active in April and May during their breeding season, but no one has died since 1975.

An eight-year-old girl, pictured, has been hospitalised after being bitten by an adder during an Easter family picnic at a West Midlands beauty spot

The child, who has not been named, had her hand swell (pictured) and was given two IV’s of anti-venom after the snake attack near her home in Birmingham

Her father David Rathbone told BirminghamLive: ‘She had been alerted to the snake’s presence by one of our party, and being a plucky girl, she investigated the striking-looking reptile with her finger.

‘Unusually, the snake did not retreat but struck at her finger.

‘She gave out a ‘yelp’, at which point I grabbed her hand and sucked hard at the wound on the tip of her index finger. The snake still did not retreat.

‘The snake also struck at my hand forcing me to whip my hand out of range.’

After the girl began to complain of pain and her hand ballooned, he took her from the beauty spot, Kinver Edge, a National Trust property, to Kidderminster hospital.   

Thinking she needed more care, the minor injuries team rushed her to Birmingham Children’s Hospital by ambulance. 

Mr Rathbone said she was given the ‘intravenous infusion of anti-venom serum’ and became ‘quite ill’ with the strong drug.  

His ‘very brave girl’ is now feeling a lot better and is fine but is a ‘little fed up’ with missing out on an Easter egg hunt. 

She remains in hospital under observation but it is hoped she will return to school soon. 

People have spotted many more adders lately in the UK with breeding season starting during this period and ending in May, according to the British Trust for Ornithology.

Adders hibernate from October, emerging in the first warm days of March, which is the easiest time of year to find them. 

Around 100 people are bitten by adders every year, which become more active in April and May during their breeding season, but no one has died since 1975. Pictured: The adder that bit the eight-year-old girl

Jake Closier’s hand after he was bitten by a venomous adder on a beach in Norfolk 

What to do if you are bitten by an adder

Around 100 people get bitten by adders in Britain every year, but no one has died from one since 1975. 

The adder is not normally a danger to humans, except to very young, ill or old.

It is more likely to slither way than bite a human, unless trodden on or picked up.

If bitten, medical attention should be sought immediately 

The worst effects of the snake’s bite are normally nausea and drowsiness, severe swelling and bruising around the bite.

For some a snake bite can trigger a severe reaction, known as anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock.

One of the around 100 people bitten every year by adders was an eight-year-old boy who recently was also rushed to hospital earlier this month after an adder bite caused his hand to swell up ‘five times the normal size’.

Jake Closier was on a day trip to the beach when he was attacked by the venomous snake.

He was with dad Kenny, 33, and mum Sophie, 32, at popular beauty spot Hemsby beach in Norfolk, when the snake launched at him while he played in the sand dunes.

Sophie initially thought the bite was from a harmless grass snake but realised something was wrong when Jake’s hand went ‘completely hard’.

The boy is now safe and well after the adder struck.  

Adders are not normally a danger to humans, except to very young, ill or old people, and is more likely to slither way than bite a human, unless trodden on or picked up.

Mr Rathbone agreed saying he hopes the incident with his eight-year-old daughter warns others to be careful while walking.  

If bitten, medical attention should be sought immediately.

The worst effects of the snake’s bite are normally nausea and drowsiness, severe swelling and bruising around the bite.

For some a snake bite can trigger a severe reaction, known as anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock.

Source: Read Full Article