Coronavirus outbreak at charity football match soars to 61 casesSeptember 11, 2020
Coronavirus outbreak at charity football match soars to 61 confirmed cases after crowd of 300 were ordered to self-isolate
- More than 60 cases after match on Sunderland and County Durham’s border
- Crowds told to isolate after game at Burnside Working Men’s Club on August 30
- Up to 300 people are thought to have attended the fundraiser for cancer charity
A coronavirus outbreak at a charity football match has seen up to 61 people infected after a crowd of 300 were ordered to self isolate.
Initial testing revealed 28 people had been diagnosed with Covid-19 following a match to raise money for men’s health charity Cancer Lads at Burnside Working Men’s Club on the border of Sunderland and County Durham.
Another 33 cases have been linked to the event on August 30, bringing the total up to 61.
Anyone who attended the event has been asked to self-isolate until midnight on September 13 – a fortnight from the date of the event.
A total of 61 Covid-19 cases have been linked to a charity football match at Burnside Working Men’s Club, on the Sunderland – County Durham border, on August 30
Durham County Council and Sunderland City Council are continuing to work closely with Public Health England to manage the public health response.
Amanda Healy, Director of Public Health at Durham County Council, said: ‘We were aware that a large number of people are believed to have attended the event so we always expected the number of cases to rise.
‘We would like to thank everyone who has responded so far to our call to self-isolate if they were present at the club on August 30 and to those who have sought a test when appropriate.
Last month’s charity match was set up to raise money for men’s health charity Cancer Lads, with around 300 people gathering to watch the game
‘We would like to reiterate that our initial advice remains the same in that anyone who attended the event should self-isolate for 14 days from that date unless they’re contacted individually by NHS Test and Trace with further advice.’
Gillian Gibson, Director of Public Health at Sunderland City Council, said:
‘We are seeing increases in the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Sunderland particularly in the Houghton area so it’s incredibly important that people continue to follow public health guidance.
‘In order to prevent the spread and protect ourselves and our communities, when we’re outside of the home we all need to behave as if everyone we meet is infected.
Anyone who attended the fundraiser at Burnside Working Men’s Club has been asked to self-isolate until midnight on 13 September
‘That means staying two metres apart, wash your hands for 20 seconds and do this often, covering your face in enclosed spaces, and stay at home if you have been identified as a contact of a case, have symptoms or are waiting for Covid test results.’
Contact tracing continues to be carried out with anyone believed to have had close contact with someone who has tested.
Anyone who attended the event and has since had a test which has come back negative should also self-isolate until midnight on September 13 as it can take up to 14 days for symptoms to appear.
Source: Read Full Article