Care worker mother of killer teenager jailed after she lied to policeMay 30, 2022
Care home worker who faked an alibi for her teenage son after he stabbed a rival to death outside a Debenhams is jailed for two years
- Karlene Joseph, 43, lied to police after her son stabbed rival to death in London
- She told officers he had dinner with her, but he had knifed Hussein Al-Saabri
- Jahni Menzie-Samuels and Rickarlo Williams face life behind bars for stabbing
A care home worker who lied to police after her teenage son stabbed a rival to death has been jailed for two years for perverting the course of justice.
Karlene Joseph, 43, told cops that her son, Jahni Menzie-Samuels was eating dinner with her on the night that Hussein Al-Saabri, 23, was brutally murdered in Harrow, northwest London.
Ms Joseph even phoned the police to provide them with the false statement.
Rickarlo Williams and Menzie-Samuels, both 19, were armed with a Rambo knife and a machete when they hacked Mr Al-Saabri to death outside Debenhams in St Anns Shopping Centre.
A second victim, Jaffar Musair, was also left with seven stab wounds while Hamoud Al-Hassona suffered an injury to his back after they too were attacked on 13 December 2020, the Old Bailey heard.
The knife attack was act of revenge because of a Snapchat row, the court was told. Both teenage killers now face the prospect of spending life behind bars.
Ms Joseph was jailed for two years at the Old Bailey in London for perverting the course of justice as a judge warned her actions tried to ‘help a murderer walk free’.
Hussain Al Saabri, 23, was found with fatal stab injuries near St Anns Shopping Centre in Harrow on December 13
Karlene Joseph, 43, lied to the police and said her son Jahni Menzie-Samuels was having dinner with her on the night that 23-year-old Hussein Al-Saabri was murdered
Rickarlo Williams (left) and Menzie-Samuels, both 19, were armed with a Rambo knife and a machete when they hacked Mr Al-Saabri to death outside Debenhams in St Anns Shopping Centre
A police officer stands at the scene after a 23-year-old man is stabbed to death in north west London
Joseph’s lawyer Stephen Nelson said the care home was ‘likely to retain her employment either now or in the future.’
But Judge John Hillen told her that the ‘police gave you every opportunity to withdraw the statement’ but she refused.
He reduced the sentence because Joseph has a seven-year-old son and an older son with mental health issues who is unable to live alone.
The judge also noted that she is has not previous convictions and that she is employed as the team leader at a care home for the elderly in Brent.
He added: ‘Everyone would understand the maternal instinct to protect your child, but that cannot excuse your deliberate effort to help a murderer walk free.’
‘I note the impact that this will have on your seven-year-old child, but that’s on you.’
Joseph of Harrow, denied perverting the course of justice.
Two other teenagers– aged 17 and 19 years – also suffered stab injuries during the December 2020 attack. Their injuries were not life-threatening.
Following the attack earlier this month, forensic crews placed a cordon around the St Anns Road and Station Road area as Scotland Yard investigated the murder.
Local police also enforced a Section 60 notice for the entire borough of Harrow, lasting until 10.49am the following day.
The order gave officers the right to stop and search people where they believed serious violence could take place, or that a person was carrying an offensive weapon.
Source: Read Full Article