Afghans welcome report on Australian troops’ alleged crimesNovember 17, 2020
Save articles for later
Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time.
Kabul: An Afghan rights watchdog and a tribal leader are cautiously welcoming an Australian government report into suspected war crimes by its special forces in Afghanistan following a four-year investigation.
After the report's publication, a new investigative agency headed by a retired judge or senior criminal lawyer will investigate allegations against some soldiers who were in the Special Air Service Regiment and Commando Regiment in Afghanistan between 2005 and 2016, Australian officials said.
Afghanistan’s Independent Human Rights Commission said it provided information on at least 10 cases of alleged war crimes to Australian investigators.
Abdul Manan, a 58-year-old tribal leader, poses with his children. He and an Afghan rights watchdog have are cautiously welcomed a Australian government report into suspected war crimes.Credit:AP
“We hope this report is published as soon as possible, so that the Afghan people — especially the victims — can know what really happened,” said Zabiullah Farhang, a spokesman for the organisation.
He said details on the cases were not being released in order to protect the alleged victims’ confidentiality and security. Australia will make public a redacted version of the report on the investigation on Thursday.
Abdul Manan is a 58-year-old tribal leader in southern Uruzgan province where Australian forces were based for years. He said he’s looking forward to the report’s release.
“Our demand is that those who have done wrong to us should be put on trial. Justice must be served,” he said. “We cannot try them ourselves … we are in Afghanistan and they are in Australia.”
Abdul Manan said he was detained at least six times by Australian forces for allegedly helping the Taliban. He claims the residents of his village, located around 12 kilometres from Uruzgan’s provincial capital, were forced to accept the insurgents’ presence in the area under duress.
“We were not armed to stop them,” he said. His account could not be independently verified.
Documents alleging Australian troops killed unarmed men and children in Afghanistan became the basis for exclusive investigative reports by The Age and The Australian Broadcasting Corp., which detailed growing unease in the Australian Defence Force leadership about the culture of the special forces.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Minister for Defence Linda Reynolds announced a special investigator for war crimes.Credit:Alex Ellinghausen
Two ABC journalists had until recently faced potential prison sentences for using the leaked documents, but prosecutors decided that charging the journalists would not be in the public interest.
Defence Force Chief General Angus Campbell was quoted last month as saying that his country’s service members had shot unarmed civilians and prisoners, even slitting some of their throats, with a “large number of illegal killings often gloated about.”
Ben Roberts-Smith, Australia’s most highly decorated member of the armed services when he left the SAS in 2013, has been accused of by former colleagues of unlawful treatment of prisoners, including illegally killing prisoners. The former corporal, who was awarded the Victoria Cross and the Medal for Gallantry for his service in Afghanistan, has denied any misconduct.
Around 39,000 Australians served in Afghanistan and 41 were killed.
Most Viewed in World
Source: Read Full Article